- 500g extra lean mince
- 1 medium onion, chopped
- 1t crushed garlic
- 1 medium carrot, finely chopped/grated
- 2 stalks leeks, chopped finely
- 1 x 410g tinned tomato
- 2t tomato paste
- 2t of dried herbs of choice e.g. ¼ origanum + ¼ thyme + ¼ dried basil + ¼ parsley
- Salt and pepper, as desired
- Sauté the onion and garlic until translucent and soft.
- Add diced carrot and leeks.
- Add mince and brown. Once brown, add tinned tomato and tomato paste,
- Add the spices, salt and pepper and allow to cook slowly over low heat for about 15 minutes.
- Serve with vegetable noodles of your choice e.g. pumpkin taglietelle, zucchini noodles, carrot spaghetti, etc.
Serves 6 – 8
Analysis per serving of mince
Recipe by Monique Piderit
Monique is a registered dietitian at Nutritional Solutions in Bryanston, Johannesburg. She has a Masters degree in dietetics and is a PHD candidate. She has a keen interest in the role of good nutrition to optimise performance and recovery in athletes. Read more about Monique Piderit