This onion soup recipe is very low in calories but very satisfying for those cold winter days.
- 6 white onions finely sliced
- 2 tsp brown sugar
- 2 garlic cloves crushed
- 2 Litres beef stock
- 3 bay leaves
- 3 sprigs thyme
- Seasoning to taste
- Dry fry the onions in a non stick saucepan until softened and starting to go brown.
- Add the garlic and sugar and stir for another minute or two.
- Then add the rest of the ingredients and simmer with the lid on for 45 minutes.
- Serve with a sprinkling of parmesan cheese on the top.
Recipe by Karen Protheroe
Karen is a registered dietitian and author of numerous books on nutrition. She also runs a private practice in Stellenbosch. Read more about Karen here.