- 1 cup raw dried red lentils briefly rinsed under a running tap
- 1 large onion, 1 tsp each garlic and ginger – chopped
- 1 TBS Canola or sunflower oil
- 2 tsp cumin
- 1tsp coriander
- ½ tsp each fennel and cardamom
- 1tsp turmeric
- 1 tsp salt
- 3 – 4 cups of water
- Frozen vegetables like cauliflower, carrots and broccoli or green beans (2 – 3 cups in total)
- Fry onion, garlic and ginger in the oil until soft.
- Add the spices and stir for a minute.
- Add the lentils and 2- 3 cups of water.
- Allow lentils to simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add fresh veggies (or frozen) and cook until lentils and veggies are cooked.
- Keep adding liquid if necessary.
- Flavour to taste with salt.
- Serve with brown rice or roti and a salad of chopped tomatoes and onions and coriander (mint and basil are also good if you don’t have coriander).
(serves 2 – 3)
Karen is a registered dietitian and author of numerous books on nutrition. She also runs a private practice in Stellenbosch. Read more about Karen here.