This recipe is not only quick and easy but also includes three food groups (grain, protein, and vegetable), creating a well-balanced meal. Food variety can help keep you strong to the finish—as can the spinach itself.
500 g pasta, such as fettuccine
2 tablespoons oil, preferably olive or canola
500 g boneless, skinless chicken breasts, thinly sliced
1 to 4 cloves garlic, finely chopped, or 1/4 to 1 teaspoon garlic powder
300 ml chicken broth
500 g fresh spinach, washed, drained, and roughly chopped
Salt and pepper to taste
Optional: 300 g mushrooms, sliced; 1/4 cup (25g) Parmesan cheese
- Cook the pasta according to the package directions.
- While the pasta is cooking, heat the oil in a large skillet and saute the sliced chicken breasts for 30 seconds.
- Toss in the garlic (and mushrooms) and stir well. Cook for about 5 minutes.
- Pour in the chicken broth and bring it to a simmer. Add the spinach, stirring until it wilts.
- Drain the pasta and return it to the cooking pot. Pour in the chicken and spinach mixture and toss well. Heat for 2 minutes.
- Season to taste with salt and pepper (and Parmesan cheese, as desired).
Yield: 5 servings
NUTRITION INFORMATION: 2,800 total calories; 560 calories per serving; 75 g carbohydrate; 40 g protein; 11 g fat
Reproduced by permission from N. Clark, Nancy Clark’s Sports Nutrition Guidebook, 6th ed. (Champaign, IL: Human Kinetics, 2020).