This salad is a great healthy accompaniment to a braai.
- 450 g aubergine, (1-2, depending on size)
- olive oil
- 1 bunch fresh mint
- 1 clove garlic
- 3 tablespoon extra virgin olive oil
- 1 tablespoon red wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoons pomegranate molasses
- 9 tablespoons thick Greek-style yoghurt
- 1 handful pomegranate seeds
- Slice the aubergines into 1cm-thick slices
- Peel garlic cloves
- In a large pan on a medium heat, fry the aubergine slices in olive oil, about 5 to 6 minutes on each side, or until golden brown. Cook in batches.
- Drain on paper towel; cool and put in fridge until needed.
- For the dressing: finely chop mint leaves. Using a pestle and mortar, crush the garlic with a pinch of sea salt into a paste. When smooth, mix in the extra virgin olive oil, vinegar, pomegranate molasses and mint.
- Arrange the aubergine slices on a serving plate, then top with the yoghurt, drizzle over the dressing and scatter over the pomegranate seeds.
Recipe by Jenna Bowes
Jenna is a registered dietitian with a private practice in Bryanston, Johannesburg. She is highly qualified with BSc degrees in Dietetics, Sports Science and Psychology. Jenna is also a keen sportswoman and has competed at the 70.3 World Iron Man Championships. Read more about Jenna here