What are the mental qualities that you need to be successful?
I was interviewed on Business Day TV about the psyche of success. The interviewer asked me to analyse many successful people that I have studied in sport, business, the arts, and those that are just inspired by their roles in life. I looked for common processes and qualities that made up their psyche and realised that we actually all possess what is needed to activate a mind-set for success.
The magic of activating these qualities lie within the workings of three processes common to many whole champions and great leaders. These important processes are Self-awareness, Intuition, and Attention.
- Self-awareness allows you to observe that which you are thinking, speaking, and doing, which either serves or does not serve your success.
- Intuition gives you the capacity to tune in to your instincts and to know or to do something instinctively without reason or logic. Intuition enables you to take action with trust, without knowledge of the outcome.
- Attention is the key to mobilising the momentum on any successful path you embark on. Are you placing your attention on the vision, planning, and appropriate action steps that will move you closer to your goal?
These 3 processes provide a vortex that can activate a psyche of success. Using these processes, together with nurturing the 8 Seeds of Success below, will lead to a path of activating your very own Psyche of Success.
Growing the 8 Seeds in the Psyche of Success
- DESIRE: a feeling of excitement about something you want to accomplish. Give yourself permission to want to achieve, accomplish, or have whatever is important for you.
- WORTHINESS: a feeling of knowing that you have strengths and value, and that you can express these to get what you want. Pat yourself on the back for what you do well.
- APPRECIATION: a feeling of gratitude for the resources, conditions, and support that is there to move you forward in the direction of fulfilling your desires.
- FAITH: a feeling that everything will work out for you in the end. The universe is on your side.
- NORMALISING DOUBT: a feeling of understanding the normality of doubt, anxiety, stress, fear, tension etc. that emerges as you push yourself out of your comfort zone. All champions have this feeling – affirm the normality and even the usefulness of these human feelings.
- COURAGE TO ACT: a feeling of boldness that you want to stretch yourself and put yourself in unknown territory for the fun of it, for growth, discovery and excitement.
- ENJOYING THE JOURNEY: keep the challenges exciting, the obstacles light, and learn to love the risk of refining new resources.
- ALWAYS LEARNING: this is the feeling of humility – owning when you have made a mistake, staying open to continuous learning, despite your success, your potential for growth in many aspects of life needs to be ongoing.
Plant the 8 seeds of success into your psyche regardless of whatever area of life you want to achieve success. Feed them with self-awareness, Intuition and Attention, and you will enjoy reaping what you have sown and continue to sow.
Toni Gaddie is as a Clinical and Sports Psychologist who assists national and international sports champions and business leaders in becoming and maintaining their “whole champion” status. She is also the co-founder of the Champion’s Academy. Read more about Toni here.